Since its inception, the Great Lakes Children’s Museum has collaborated and partnered with many community organizations and agencies. Those collaborations continue to grow today.
- Various school groups in Museum (ongoing).
- Stuffee™ in-class programs (ongoing).
- Life in the Pond in-class programs (2005)
Discovery Center ~ Great Lakes
Facilities sharing and joint programming with:
- Maritime Heritage Alliance
- The Watershed Center – Grand Traverse Bay
- Traverse Area Community Sailing
Regional Arts Organizations
- Cultural Coalition (ongoing).
- Funday Sunday programs (ongoing).
- National Overture for the Arts (2003).
- Various collaborations in the development and delivery of programs (ongoing).
- Museum director (Noonan) participated in strategic planning for Institute (2002).
- Cosponsored the Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood — A Hands On Exhibit (2005).
- Delivering Funday Sunday programs at the Dennos during hiatus (2006).
- VSA Art Show (2003).
- Start with the Arts – early childhood literacy program (2007).
- Presented at Interactivity, annual national conference (2006, 2007 & 2011).
- Published articles in Hand to Hand, national quarterly publication (ongoing).
- Friday Night Live (numerous).
- Children’s Art Fair (2003-2011).
- Celebration of the Young Child (2000-2005).
- Provide annual Family Night without cost to families stationed in Traverse City
- Half off admission for USCG (and other active military) throughout the year
- Free admission for USCG (and other active military) during summer under Blue Star Program (2010 & 2011)
- Museum participates in Early Childhood Advocacy Collaborative (ongoing).
- Offers Museum facility for events and activities (ongoing).
- Cosponsored on the Informal Science Education Summit (2004).
- Executing $1.3M National Science Foundation (NSF) grant for Watershed exhibits (ongoing).
- Listening to the River program and exhibit (2006-2011)
- Children’s films (ongoing).
- Traverse City Film Fest – Kids Fests (2011)
- Michigan Groundwater Stewardship delivers programs in Museum (2002-2005).
- Parenting Education & Support delivers programs in Museum (various).
- Safe Kids North Shore (ongoing)
Kids Safety Day
Ongoing partnership with first-responders and safety organizations such as:
- Fire & police departments,
- Ambulance & Red Cross,
- Coast Guard and other boating safety organizations,
- Electrical safety with Traverse City Light & Power,
- Car seat safety, etc.
Kids Free Fishing Day
Cosponsor event each year with:
- Rotary Water Committee (representatives of all 3 TC Rotary Clubs)
- DNR Fisheries
- GT Band of Ottawa & Chippewa Indians
- GT Area Sport Fishing Association
Founding member of group (Noonan) that implements partnerships with regional water stewardship organizations.
- Inland Seas Education Association
- The Watershed Center
- Water Studies Institute
- Michigan Sea Grant
- Conservation Resource Alliance
- NMC’s Osterlin Library
- Life in the Pond, a science-based play produced and performed by children’s theatre members (2005).
- Fly fishing classes—including instruction in aquatic biology, fly-tying, and casting (ongoing).