(Permanent, Full-Time Position)
Great Lakes Children’s Museum is an educational, interactive museum dedicated to inspiring young children and the adults in their lives to learn through play. Great Lakes Children’s Museum is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and serves a five county area, as well as visitors from other areas. The museum offers dynamic, hands-on exhibits and programming to engage visitors and invite them to explore and learn. In addition, the museum offers outreach through a variety of free and discounted programs for schools, daycare centers, and community groups.
Great Lakes Children’s Museum seeks an experienced Executive Director to lead the museum into its next phase of development, which will include the construction of new exhibits along with expanded programming, major gifts fundraising, and operations management. The Great Lakes Children’s Museum also has an expansion plan in partnership with the Discovery Center~Great Lakes at which the museum is located.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Trustees and is responsible for the organization’s consistent fulfillment of its mission and objectives.
The Executive Director will:
- Conduct, in partnership with the Board of Trustees and the museum’s consultants, strategic planning for the new museum facility and programming, with a special emphasis on fundraising, long-range visioning, master plans for expansion, and organizational structure.
- Oversee the planning and construction of new exhibits in the current facility.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the fields of nonprofit development, museum leadership, museum operations and museum education. Will demonstrate success in implementing best practices within the organization.
- Provide leadership in program development, staff organization, and financial planning for operations, facilities, and programming.
- Create community relationships to ensure the museum serves its community, including children and families from disadvantaged and marginalized populations.
- Support marketing efforts to grow awareness for the museum and expand fundraising efforts.
- Provide excellent financial stewardship for all the museum’s resources, address all compliance issues, and maintain the transparency necessary for a community-based nonprofit.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in relevant field strongly preferred.
- Must be able to demonstrate a successful record of cultivating and securing significant gifts. Experience leading a multi-million dollar capital campaign strongly preferred.
- Five years, minimum, experience of executive level leadership.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with the media.
Salary and Benefits:
This position is a salaried (exempt) position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Great Lakes Children’s Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Successful candidates will be required to undergo a criminal background check.
Interested candidates should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Resume, including contact information for a minimum of three professional references
- Cover Letter detailing interest in and qualifications for the position as well as salary history and expectations
- A brief Personal Statement articulating your philosophy and executive approach to non-profit and/or museum development
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please put “Executive Director Application” in the subject line. No phone calls. Questions should be directed to email@example.com. Application packages received by 11:59pm EST on February 9, 2014 will receive preference during the review process. Position open until filled.