Volunteer At The Great Lakes Children’s Museum
- Facilitators and Facilitator Helpers for weekly programming, including Kids Craft Lab, Storytime Adventures, and More to Explore! (ages 13 & up)
- Facilitators and Facilitator Helpers for School Vacation programing. Example: Winter & Spring Break (ages 13 & up)
- Festival of Trains admissions (ages 13 & up)
- Facilitators and Facilitator Helpers to help design NEW programming (adult)
- Carpenters, Electricians, Plumbers, and Tinkerers to help with new exhibit installations and existing exhibit maintenance (adult)
- Computer and Website Gurus (adult)
- “Crafty” People, Seamstresses, and Creative Types (ages 13& up)
- Special Event Staffing Helpers (ages 13 & up)
- Committee Members (on any of six planning committees) (adult)
- Specially designated projects (all ages)
- And many more!
Volunteer Job Descriptions
(Click to Expand)
The Program Assistant helps deliver an educational program such as a craft, story, or activity. This position works directly with kids and families to engage them in play and learning. Read more here!
The Program Greeter welcomes participants to a program and provides a brief orientation. This position is responsible for welcoming guests and tracking attendance. Read more here!
The Photographer is in charge of taking pictures of GLCM events, displays, but primarily participants at programs. This position is in charge of capturing smiles, learning, and fun so we can promote our programs to others. Read more here!
The Facility Maintenance position is (partly) responsible for helping us maintain out building and exhibits. General upkeep, repair, and small improvement projects fall under this position. Read more here!
The Exhibit Builder is responsible for helping construct a new exhibit, display, or activity. This position is about helping to build new tools for education at the Museum. Read more here!
Festival of Trains Staff
The Festival of Trains staffer helps run the admissions table at the annual Festival of Trains. This December event happens off-site of GLCM and needs lots of staffing help. Read more here!
Whether you’re a techie type, a crafty person, a carpenter, an electrician, love to sew, love to teach, are a retiree or adult with time you’d like to fill, we have a place for you in our Museum family!
Volunteers earn credits towards memberships or museum parties as they record hours. Volunteers can also earn rewards by recruiting others. Check out our volunteer Rewards & Recruitment Program.
To Volunteer as an Individual
- Take a look at our volunteer needs and figure out what you’d like to do.
- After a background check, the Impact Manager will schedule a volunteer shift that aligns with your skills and schedule.
- Have fun volunteering!
To Volunteer as a Group
- Contact the Impact Manager (info below) to figure out a job and date. Knowing the number of volunteers and time you have available will help us figure out the best opportunity for you.
- Have fun volunteering! Whether you’re working on an exhibit, helping at an event, or supporting us in another way, have fun!
- Consider adopting an exhibit with your group if you would be willing to come at least twice per year. If you do, we’ll recognize your group with a plaque highlighting your group’s donation.
ALL Volunteers must adhere to the GLCM Volunteer Code of Conduct. Teen Volunteers may sign up for one 2-hour shift per day. Youth Gallery Helpers under 13 years old may sign up for one 1-hour shift with an adult present. Please visit SignUp.com to start today!
If you have a specific request or question, contact the Impact Manager at email@example.com or 231-932-4526.